When it comes to the world of business, perception is absolutely everything. After all; when a customer is choosing which company to deal with they know that they want to be dealing with a company that has a decent reputation. This is why the majority of people will gravitate towards the larger companies as opposed to the smaller ones which quite often offer far better prices. On this page I want to talk you through a few tricks which will make your small business seem bigger than it actually is. These are very minor tricks, but you will be surprised at just how much of an impact they can have on customer perception of your company.
- Perhaps one of the best ways in which to make your company seem larger than it is will be to opt for a website overhaul. You will be surprised at how much of a difference a professional looking website packed to the brim with tons of useful content will have on the perception of your company. I don’t know about you; but I am more likely to trust a modern site than one that looks as though it has been pulled out of the late 90s.
- Change your email addresses up a little. I find that email@example.com is far better than simply firstname.lastname@example.org. All of the big companies do it. You might as well do so too, right? After all; if you ever hit the big time you are going to need to use that format anyway so that you do not run out of potential email addresses for your employees!
- Spend a lot of time on the development of social media for your business. The more followers and likes you have, the more reputable your company will be in the eyes of people. In fact; I know a fair few people out there who will only purchase from companies based upon how popular they are on social media. This is in part down to the fact that only the best companies have tons and tons of followers.
- Change up the name of your company (if possible). I heard an interesting story once. It involved a freelance designer who was struggling to get work. His solution was to ditch trying to sell under his freelance name. He instead opted to form a company and make sales under that. He was still the only employee but sales shot up almost instantly. You could potentially try this if your company name currently makes you look like some sort of ‘small operation’
- Purchase business cards (don’t opt for the free ones that tend to have advertising on the back of them). If you hand out business cards then you are instantly going to be conveying the idea that you are a reputable company. Honestly; almost all people who are serious about the world of business should have a couple of business cards handy at all times. You never know when you are going to get the opportunity to hand them out.